Shape Your Self
Shape Your Self was written by tennis legend Martina Navratilova so that she could share her broad knowledge and personal experience to help people lose weight and improve their fitness. It is a six-step plan that is concentrated on making lifestyle changes that will promote health and long-term sustainable results.
Navratilova explains that the real secret to achieving successful weight loss is not primarily related to diet or exercise but rather with having the right mental attitude. She encourages dieters to make a long-term commitment to their health and wellbeing so that they are able to sustain a more positive lifestyle once their goal weight is achieved.
Shape Your Self Diet Basics
There are six steps to Navratilova’s plan and each are given equal importance as playing a vital role in a balanced approach to weight loss.
- Step 1 – Develop the mentality of an athlete
This step involves positive visualization, goal setting and learning to recover gracefully from your defeats.
- Step 2 – Building a support system
Dieters are encouraged to seek the company of supportive people and to develop strategies to cope with those that may attempt to sabotage your weight loss attempts.
- Step 3 – Fuel your body and mind
Dieters are encouraged to eat a wide variety of foods with an emphasis on vegetarian foods including fruit, vegetables, legumes and whole grains.
- Step 4 – Go organic
Navratilova is a big advocate of juicing and raw organic foods to enhance nutritional intake and promote optimal health.
- Step 5 – Build fitness to function
The focus is on functional exercises, which help to improve posture, increase strength and build stamina.
- Step 6 – Recharge and energize
When dieters notice that they are feeling tired they are advised to commence eating small and frequent meals, always eat breakfast and increase the intake of water.
Fresh fruit and vegetables (preferably raw and organic), fresh juices, beans and legumes, nuts and seeds, non-fat dairy products, soy milk.
Sample Diet Plan
Vegetable and cheese omelet
Fresh vegetable juice
Black bean soup
Large mixed vegetable salad
Strawberries with low fat yogurt
Grilled chicken breast
Exercise is a major component of Shape Your Self. Navratilova recommends cardiovascular exercises such as jogging, swimming or tennis 3-4 times a week for 30-45 minutes.
The book also includes four weeks of functional fitness workouts with photos of Navratilova demonstrating exercises that are designed for a range of fitness levels.
Also these exercises can be used with Shape Your Self.
Costs and Expenses
Shape Your Self retails at $27.95.
It will also be necessary to purchase some exercise equipment including dumbbells and a medicine ball in order to follow the fitness plans that are included in the book.
- Encourages gradual weight loss in favor of more drastic approaches.
- Does not eliminate entire food groups.
- No counting or measuring.
- Many practical tips are included.
- Exercise program is interesting with a lot of variety.
- Includes a 28 day menu plan with recipes.
- Suitable for vegetarians.
- Includes personal stories that many readers will relate to.
- Navratilova may inspire many readers due to her success both on and off the court.
- Does not allow coffee or alcohol.
- Intake of meat and dairy foods must be limited.
- Requires a degree of commitment to follow the exercise guidelines.
- Necessary to purchase some exercise equipment.
Shape Your Self has created a very sensible and well-rounded program with an emphasis on permanent results. It will allow dieters to develop the skills necessary in order to maintain their health and can be followed as a lifestyle maintenance plan once the goal weight has been achieved.
Shape Your Self will especially be suitable for dieters who would like to increase their physical fitness and develop positive lifestyle patterns that will support their health and wellbeing over the long term.
Last Reviewed: November 30, 2017