I Love This Diet: Frozen Meal Plan
I Love This Diet is a weight loss plan centered on frozen meals that can be bought at any supermarket or grocery story.
The plan incorporates brands such as Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, and Smart Ones frozen meals with the addition of fresh fruit, vegetables and low fat dairy products.
It is designed by a dietitian to be nutritionally adequate and help you to achieve a weight loss of one to two pounds per week.
Frozen Meal Diet Basics
I Love This Diet is very simple to understand.
- You will be given a daily calorie allowance based on your current weight.
As you start to lose weight your calorie intake is adjusted accordingly.
- Each day you will consume a healthy light breakfast, one frozen meal for lunch and one frozen meal for dinner.
Even though most frozen meals do contain vegetables you will also add an extra four servings of vegetables to your daily meals, with at least three of these being non-starchy vegetables.
- You have the option of preparing meals from scratch if you prefer.
The book includes a variety of recipes under 300 calories for those times when you don’t feel like eating a frozen meal.
- In addition you will consume three servings of fruit a day and two cups of non-fat milk (or allowable substitutes such as nonfat yogurt, fat-free cheese or fortified soy milk).
- Dieters are also permitted to choose one treat daily from a list of options including items like cookies, cakes, ice cream, and popcorn, but this must be less than 100 calories.
Alcohol is discouraged because it is high in calories and tends to increase the likelihood of making unhealthy food choices, however if you desire you can substitute one glass of wine or light beer in place of a treat, up to two times a week.
While following this diet it is recommended that you take a daily multivitamin and 1200mg of fish oil, to make sure all of your nutritional needs are being met.
Frozen meals, Slim Fast shakes, fruit, vegetables, whole grain cereal, whole wheat bread, skim milk, nonfat yogurt, cottage cheese, tofu, egg whites, light peanut butter, baked potato chips, microwave popcorn, Weight Watcher’s ice cream bars, low calorie salad dressing, Splenda, coffee, tea, diet soda.
The program has extensive nutritional data for the following meal brands (well over 1000 meals reviewed):
Amy’s, Blake’s, Eating Right, Eating Well, Evol, Good Food Made Simple, Healthy Choice, Kashi, Lean Cuisine, Luvo, Michelina’s, Saffron Road, Smart Ones, Sweet Earth, Trader Joes.
Sample I Love This Diet Meal Plan
1 cup Honey Nut Cheerios
1 cup skim milk
1 cup raspberries
Nabisco Chips Ahoy 100 calorie pack
Progresso 99% Fat Free Lentil Minestrone
½ cup grapes
1 cup nonfat yogurt
Lean Cuisine Lasagna with Meat Sauce
1 cup steamed broccoli
It is acknowledged that daily physical activity is healthy for you, but exercise is not required for weight loss with this program.
Costs and Expenses
I Love This Diet is a members only online program that costs $59.97 for 12 months access. There is a money back guarantee if you don’t like it. There is a private forum for support and questions.
Click here to see the program.
- Easy to understand and dieters can get started right away.
- Significantly cheaper than equivalent delivered diets such as Nutrisystem.
- Frozen meals are convenient for a busy lifestyle.
- Encourages food journaling, which has been associated with a greater chance of successful weight loss.
- Recommends a safe and realistic rate of weight loss.
- Includes a wide selection of meal ideas and recipes.
- Vegetarian options are available.
- Created by a dietitian.
- Provides weekly coupons and savings information for the recommended food products.
- Has a very active support forum.
- Will not appeal to dieters who don’t enjoy eating frozen and processed foods.
- Does not provide guidance or support for dealing with the psychological factors involved in weight management.
- Dieters are required to create their own meal plan from the options provided and keep track of calories.
- Not suitable for vegans.
- Sodium intake maybe higher than currently recommended amounts (however by choosing the meals rated A or B, you will come below FDA limits).
I Love This Diet is a weight loss plan based around the use of ready made frozen meals such as Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice. It will appeal to busy dieters who don’t require the support provided by weight loss clubs.
This program encourages the addition of fresh fruit and vegetables to the daily diet and offers some guidance on how to prepare healthy meals with a variety of recipes. Dieters are most likely to be successful on this plan if they take advantage of these resources, rather than relying exclusively on the use of packaged meals.
See the full program
- Kral, T. V., & Rolls, B. J. (2004). Energy density and portion size: their independent and combined effects on energy intake. Physiology & behavior, 82(1), 131-138. link
- Rolls, B. J. (2003). The supersizing of America: portion size and the obesity epidemic. Nutrition Today, 38(2), 42-53. link
Last Reviewed: March 4, 2018