Bodytrim is an Australian weight loss program that was created by Geoff Jowett, a recipient of the Australian Personal Trainer of the Year Award and Dr. Vicky Hillier, a medical doctor who specializes in weight loss. It is targeted towards dieters who want to lose between 5 to 50 kg.
The creators of the Bodytrim program say that it is an education system that was designed to teach people about the 3 W’s of weight loss: what to eat, when to eat and why.
They claim that dieters can expect fast and permanent results with minimal exercise and while enjoying all the foods they have always loved.
Bodytrim Diet Basics
The Body Trim program aims to provide dieters with a better understanding of their metabolism and to educate them about healthy eating and exercise habits.
The Body Trim Plan consists of three phases:
- Phase 1: Detox
In this phase you eat only protein for three days. You also must drink two to three liters of water a day and walk for thirty minutes.
- Phase 2: Weight Loss
In this phase the diet is centered on proteins and low carbohydrate vegetables. For breakfast you are permitted either a serving of fruit or a serving of another carbohydrate food such as oatmeal. If you have oatmeal at breakfast you must also include protein in the meal.You continue to drink two to three liters of water and walk for thirty minutes each day. This phase is followed until you reach your target weight.
- Phase 3: Weight Maintenance
This is similar to the weight loss phase, however now you are permitted to add up to two portions of fruit or other carbohydrate foods at breakfast, as well as at lunch.You continue to drink two to three liters of water and walk for thirty minutes each day.
For all three phases of the Bodytrim program dieters are instructed never to go more than three hours without eating. On average you will eat six small meals a day but you are allowed to eat every hour if you like as long as it is a protein food.
Once a week you have a ‘free’ day where you are allowed to eat whatever you like for two meals of the day. The following day you then eat protein only, as in the detox phase of Bodytrim.
Lean beef, chicken, fish, eggs, low-fat cheese, protein shakes, alfalfa sprouts, cucumber, eggplant, zucchini, asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, celery, lettuce, mushrooms, onions, peppers, tomato, spinach, green beans, oatmeal.
Sample Diet Plan
Eggs and smoked salmon on toast
Zucchini ricotta rolls
Marinated chicken drumsticks
Raw celery, cucumber and red pepper
Quick beef curry
80 g sliced turkey
Bodytrim encourages walking as the main form of exercise because this is achievable by the majority of people. Dieters are advised to walk for thirty minutes each day.
Costs and Expenses
The Bodytrim starter kit is available online for $149 AUD.
The kit includes four DVD’s, a reference guide with over a hundred recipes, food diary, pedometer, tape measure, lifetime phone support, online support and weekly newsletters.
Protein shakes are also available on the company’s website at an additional cost.
- A high protein intake helps to reduce appetite on a low calorie diet.
- Easy to follow with clear and simple guidelines.
- Bodytrim Does not require the use of nutritional supplements.
- Can be customized to suit individual requirements.
- Includes recipes.
- Includes online and telephone support.
- Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Encourages long-term lifestyle changes.
- Very restrictive and eliminates a variety of healthy foods.
- Difficult to eat out and stick to the Bodytrim program.
- Requires time to be spent on meal planning.
- Many dieters do not respond well to high protein, low carbohydrate diets and can experience side effects such as fatigue, headaches and constipation.
- Does not encourage a balanced exercise regime.
- Expensive in comparison to many other programs.
- Optional protein shakes involve an additional cost.
- Currently not available worldwide.
Basically a High Protein, Low Carb Diet
The Bodytrim weight loss plan does not appear to differ greatly from the large number of high protein, reduced carbohydrate diets on the market today.
While the cost investment is relatively large the structure of the Bodytrim program could be beneficial for dieters who like to have additional support to address their concerns and to help maintain motivation.
See official website here.
By Mizpah Matus B.Hlth.Sc(Hons)
- Pasiakos, S. M., Cao, J. J., Margolis, L. M., Sauter, E. R., Whigham, L. D., McClung, J. P., … & Young, A. J. (2013). Effects of high-protein diets on fat-free mass and muscle protein synthesis following weight loss: a randomized controlled trial. The FASEB Journal, 27(9), 3837-3847. link
- Wycherley, T. P., Brinkworth, G. D., Clifton, P. M., & Noakes, M. (2012). Comparison of the effects of 52 weeks weight loss with either a high-protein or high-carbohydrate diet on body composition and cardiometabolic risk factors in overweight and obese males. Nutrition & diabetes, 2(8), e40. link
Last Reviewed: March 28, 2021
ho i cant handle detox for three days so i am doing the stage two then try again detox
I had fantastic results with Bodytrim. I had gained a disproportionate amount of weight when I had two babies in two years. I needed something with fast results for motivation. I lost 10 kilos (my healthy weight is 60kg and I had gotten up to 78kg) in three months.
I maintained this for one year, however found it difficult to manage once I returned to full tie work and didn’t have the time or energy to meal prep every day, plus I returned to my rather lively social life which includes eating out and alcohol, so the weight crept back on. I’m now looking at more sustainable long term solutions for weight loss and maintenance.